Date:      Sat, 14 Mar 1998 10:18:58 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>, Kent Vander Velden <graphix@toybox.cc.iastate.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: root filesystem and -current

On Fri, 13 March 1998 at 10:50:10 -0500, Cory Kempf wrote:
> At 22:05 -0500 98.03.12, Greg Lehey wrote:
>> On Thu, 12 March 1998 at 18:24:28 -0600, Kent Vander Velden wrote:
>> The big one: IF YOU ARE RUNNING -CURRENT, SUBSCRIBE TO THE
>> FREEBSD-CURRENT MAILING LIST!
>
> Tried that.  Signal was rather low, noise was way too high.

You're the first person to say that.

>> What has happened is relatively complicated: they've eliminated the
>> "compatibility slice", so you will no longer be able to mount
>> /dev/sd0a.  Use /dev/sd0s1a instead (in /etc/fstab).  Don't be put off
>> by the fact that it will then claim to mount /dev/sd0s2a; that's a
>> known bug.
>
> Tried that.

What did you do?

> Still Panics on boot.

What's the panic?

> Putting it back via a fixit floppy after root refused to mount
> because it had the wrong device in /etc/fstab was real fun.

You don't need that.  Just boot the old kernel.

> So, in case anyone else is tempted, my experience was less than
> good.  YMMV.

In case anybody else is tempted, I get the feeling that Cory hasn't
understood the ground rules.  This is the only case we've heard of
where it didn't work after people found out about the change.  Cory
wasn't subscribed to the obligatory list for this kind of
announcement.  He didn't know how to recover from the problem.  And he
asked about it on the wrong list.

Greg