Date:      Mon, 25 Nov 2002 09:59:39 -0500
From:      Mikhail Teterin <mi+mx@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   -current unusable after a crash

The only way to get my -current system back to normal after a crash is
to boot into single user and do an explicit ``fsck -p''.

Otherwise the system will, seemingly, boot fine, but none of the ttyvs
will accept any input, although tty-switching works fine. Remote
connections (ssh, telnet) don't bring up the login prompt.

I thought, this might be due to the priority of the background fsck and
have once left it alone for several hours -- with no effect. The usual
fsck takes a few minutes.

There are three drives in the system -- a 4G SCSI (on ahc0) with /, /usr,
/opt, and /home on it, and two 30Gb IDEs coupled into one big ccd.

	-mi