Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 17:51:35 +0000
From:      Stanislav Protasov <st@falcon.ru>
To:        David Kirchner <dpk@eskimo.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Goldstar IDE CD-ROM

David Kirchner wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Mar 1996, Terry Lambert wrote:
>
> > > I have installed GoldStar 542 IDE CD-ROM in my machine and
> > > enable ide cd-rom support in kernel. During startup the
> > > system (FreeBSD 2.1-Release) writes the following:
> > >
> > > wdc1: unit 1 (atapi): <                    \^B   1.40
> > > GCD-R542/>, accel, ovlap
> > > wdc1: unit 1: unknown ATAPI protocol=3
> > >
> > > And of course I can't use the cd. Is it possible to make it
> > > work?
>
>         My problem is sort of like that, and I found out it is due to a bad
> memory chip. Try testing all your SIMMs. Also, what kind of CPU do you
> have?

Pentium. BTW, it's not due to bad memory. It's due to this new Goldstar CD-ROM.
I took their older version - Goldstar 540 and it worked fine. And I had similar
problem with WinNT - it defines it as ATAPI 1.2 CD-ROM and dies, when trying to
install from it ;(.

>         Btw, I have a Reveal GCD-R542B (interesting that they have the same
> number) Another btw, it says 'ATAPI streaming tapes not supported yet' on
> my system.

Obviously, Goldstar engineers had invented something very new ;).
Btw, I gave this CD-ROM to Serge Vakulenko (vak@cronyx.ru) - the author of the
ATAPI CD-ROM driver - perhaps FreeBSD will support it soon.

--
Best regards,
  Stanislav Protasov