Date:      Mon, 5 May 1997 16:41:43 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AMD option to take master map from NIS?

On Sun, 4 May 1997, Robert Withrow wrote:

> Looking at the AMD code I see there used to be an option that would
> take the master map from NIS directly, instead of the current way
> which requires you ``ypcat'' it as an argument to the program.
>
> This ``ypcat'' method is a real drag if you have a large quantity
> of direct mounts.  (And I know direct mounts suck, but I didn't
> create the maps, ok?).  Start of AMD takes honking-big amounts
> of memory and process slots with this method.
>
> With direct access to the master map things will only get mounted
> when they are accessed, and this will greatly conserve system resources.
>
> Also, it is a hell of a lot easier to administer.
>
> So, is there any way to get this code back?  Are we useing the most current
> AMD?  What is the status of AMD anyway?

I think the most current version of AMD is patchlevel 102 and it hasn't
changed for years.  I did look into merging patchlevel 102 into our tree
once but apathy got the better of me and I lost interest.  I don't think
there are any major differences, just bug fixes.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com