Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2000 18:14:22 -0500
From:      Chip Marshall <chip@setzer.chocobo.cx>
To:        Joe Oliveiro <joe@advancewebhosting.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Network monitoring

On November 29, 2000, Joe Oliveiro sent me the following:
> I need to monitor the ip traffic of the network without each and every
> computer running a snmpd. For this i have ran FE from the router to a hub
> then the hub to the rest of the network. Now i'm looking for a program
> which will sniff the network and create stats of bandwidth usage per ip
> address. Is there such a program that already exists?

One of the tricks I've used to do this sort of thing in the past is to
setup and ipfw rule for each ip address you want to monitor. By using
ipfw count rules, you can get a count of the number of packets and
number of bytes matching each rule, then you just need a script to
check this from time to time and record it.

It's not a great solution, but it works.

--
Chip Marshall <chip@chocobo.cx> http://www.chocobo.cx/chip/ Finger for PGP
GCM/CS d+(-) s+:++ a18>? C++ UB++++$ P+++$ L- E--- W++ N+@ o K- w O M+ V--