Date:      Sat, 14 Feb 1998 13:42:58 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Kevin Stanton <kevstanton@hotmail.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Your OS, questions

On Fri, 13 February 1998 at 19:03:48 -0800, Kevin Stanton wrote:
> To whom it may concern:
>
>           Hello.  I'm interested in learning UNIX, and someone told me
> that your version of UNIX was free and a great OS to learn on.  What I
> was wondering is, I have a PII-300MHz, with 128 megs of ECC SDRAM.  I
> have an 8.4 gigabyte EIDE UltraATA harddrive, and it's partitioned into
> a C: D: E: & F: drives.  The E: drive is completely empty, and I was
> wondering if I could run FreeBSD on that E: drive, and keep my C:, D: &
> F: intact for Windows 95 B use.

Almost.  The trouble is that most PCs can only boot from the first two
disks (this is a BIOS limitation, not a FreeBSD limitation).  This
would translate to the Microsoft partition C: or D:.

I'd suggest that you move the contents of your Microsoft partion D: to
E:, and install FreeBSD on D:.  Hopefully they're close enough to the
same size not to be a problem.

Greg