Date:      Mon, 4 May 1998 11:57:14 +0300
From:      Anatoly Vorobey <mellon@pobox.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: ports/www/ijb - Imported sources

You, Eivind Eklund, were spotted writing this on Mon, May 04, 1998 at 03:29:39AM +0200:
> [taken to -chat]
>
> On Sun, May 03, 1998 at 08:59:31PM -0400, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:
> > On Sun, 3 May 1998, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> > > Should't this be under ATT (for "Automated Theft Tool")? ;-)
> > >
> > > Refusing to download ads from the WWW is very bad practice.  Those ads are
> > > paying for the service you're using.  I'm not even certain we should have
> > > the above program as a port - I don't think we'd have a 'automated
> > > crack-on-download' tool, for instance, and this is actually fairly similar.
> >
> > I strongly disagree.
>
> Arguments!  Come up with arguments!

Oh, that's easy.

The argument is the nature of the medium.

The Web is a medium which works according to HTTP protocol. That protocol
is built around a principle of 'you go and get a file if you want it'.
_Nowhere_ in the protocol is a notion that you must go and fetch .jpg
file if it's in a tag in a HTML file (lynx doesn't, is it HTML-compliant?
Thank you). Although the protocol _could_ have been built to
unquestionably transmit image files in the same data stream used for
the main HTML file, it wasn't, and for a good reason - it would be
ugly design and inconvinient for the consumer. This choice has set
the nature of the medium.

Your argument that somehow, when entering a Web site I "impicitly" agree
to view its images is silly and wrong. There is no agreement, neither
explicit nor implicit (if there was, turning off loading images in
Netscape would be wrong and immoral, do you think it is?). What I
do is use my software to pull an HTML file off a site using HTTP
protocol. The fact that for some time, my software wasn't sophisticated
enough to let me choose which additional files to pull off the
same site doesn't mean it's morally wrong for it to be sophisticated.

Your argument about those silly "licenses" on sites is also wrong.
They're invalid and unenforcable. First of all, a "page" is not an
abstraction which exists on protocol level. A "page" is something
out together by my software from separate entitites I pull from
a site, so there's no reverse-engineering in my putting it
together from a subset of the whole set of possible entitites
(again, browsing with images turned off is an important special
case).

Here's an analogy for you. Suppose I invented magical ink that
erases profane words from paper automatically and leaves other
intact. I buy a book published by your friend content-maker and
apply this ink before reading. Now, a friend of yours has
a "license" on the book's cover which tells me I must not change
book's content before "displaying" (i.e. reading) it. Am I
breaking the law? Your friend will get laughed at in court.

The reason he'll get laughed at in court is that the _medium_ of
books doesn't allow silly "licenses" that enforce me to read in
the book what he wants me to. He cannot force me to read all chapters
or none, or not to read 3rd chapter if I'm under 18 (if I bought the
book legally). Or to read all the profane words.

The reason, however, that this can't be a real story is that there
isn't, and unlikely to be any time soon, such an ink. The medium
of books doesn't allow it. _That_ is the sole reason I will see
those profane words (assuming for an instant I don't want to),
and not because it's morally or legally wrong to automatically erase
them for my own reading.

Well, the medium of Web _does_ allow it, whether your friends
want it or not. And using this ability of the medium is neither
piracy nor morally wrong, just as it wouldn't be morally
wrong to automatically erase profane words (or adevrtisements,
or any other material I DO NOT WANT TO SEE) in a book. If it were
easily possible, those who insert profane words (or advertisements,
etc.) should have been looking for another medium.

Which brings me to the next point. Your friends the content-makers
say I'm ripping them off. They say I want a free ride on their
content. Bullshit, if you excuse my language. THEY want a
free ride - on the medium. They're using a medium (Web, HTTP) which
explicitly lets its user to pull or not to pull different
images/other files separately, and they want to brainwash ME, a user
of the medium, to give up this freedom of mine and get their ads
no matter what. Their attempts to produce content are appreciated;
their attemtps to force down my throat what I don't want (and don't
have to, by the nature of the medium) to see are not. Should they
desire that I get their ads no matter what, they should look INTO
a DIFFERENT MEDIUM which allows that. Was that clear enough? For
example, they can use ActiveX controls which display ads on
my Windows desktop, and make their site unbrowsable without ActiveX.
Or they can use .PDF file with graphics built-in the file and ask
me to download them.

What? Do I hear a response to this already? They probably don't
want to! (ah, that was a wild guess). They want to enjoy universal
portability and availability of the Web medium, and don't want
to use more restricted mediums of ActiveX-enabled browsers
or PDF files. Well, then THEY want a free ride: to use a medium
because it's so universal and portable and yet ignore its nature
and try to force me (morally or in whatever different way) to
get all their images, ads or no ads, from their site.

Your arguments about ijb being a 'cracker' tools or about
its user being 'pirates' are just way too silly to address,
esp. in the light of what I wrote above. They would be offensive
if they weren't so laughable.

Sincerely,
Anatoly.

--