Date:      Thu, 09 Nov 2000 20:23:26 +0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The shared /bin and /sbin bikeshed

Warner Losh wrote:
> : I have a patch that makes /bin and /sbin optionally non-static.  For
> : small systems that have / and /usr on the same file system, you can
> : save about 5M-6M of disk space by making /bin and /sbin shared.
>
> It looks like I understated the savings.  It saves 6.5M for our cut
> down tree (which tries to grab as few of the /bin and /sbin binaries
> as it can).  For the full tree it saves 12-13M (2.1M vs 14.4M).  My
> cut down minimal system went from 14.7M to 8.2M.

I have often wondered exactly what it would take to make a truely shareable
/ without /usr mounted and actually work properly..

As I see it:
- /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 would have to move to / somewhere.
- The ldscripts would need /lib:/usr/lib instead of just /usr/lib for their
paths
- ld-elf.so.1 would have to know that /lib comes before /usr/lib, etc.
- we'd need a selection of .so's in /lib so that /bin and /sbin could be
useable.
- The gcc specs would need a couple of tweaks.

*then* nsswitch becomes useful so that /bin/ls can dlopen() the .so's for
true plugin name resolvers etc.  And /bin/sh can do a 'cd ~user' for something
like nisplus which will never fit inside libc.so.x.

I've tinkered with this before and got it almost to the point of working but
got distracted and worked on something else instead.  Moving libc, libm, and
some others (eg: libcurses) to /lib ate back some of the originally saved
space, but overall it was still *way* in front for disk space.

Cheers,
-Peter