Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:00:59 -0600
From:      Laurence Sanford <lauasanf@wilderness.dyn.dhs.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Different OS's? Marketshare

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

>Does that include X and KDE?  I'm getting wild SCSI errors on FreeBSD
>trying to install stuff, and I don't really know what that means, but it
>doesn't appear to be corrupting anything, and it seems to be installing
>software.

Well, I don't use KDE because I don't particularly like heavyweight
software unless I need it, although it has been several years since I
looked at either that or Gnome, and I have seriously considered several
times recently installing both of them to see what they've been up to.
As for X, it should be quite painless with the possible exception of
getting the config (XF86Config) right - the first time I did it, it
caused me much swearing and gnashing of teeth, but here recently it's
gotten so painless  that I don't really remember it very well. That
could be because it's gotten much easier, or because I've gotten used to
it, the truth probly landing somewhere in the middle.