Date:      Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:31:44 -0800
From:      Forrest <praxis@techpraxis.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mike & STATUS..LCK (orig: RE:Samba issues)

Mike, I have had a similar problem to yours, concerning the non-appearance
of STATUS..LCK and inability of the "smbstatus" command to work, so I
decided to document here how I got it working:

after re-reading the samba documentation, following the steps in
DIAGNOSIS.txt and finding that nothing obviously wrong, and then doing the
following search:=20

http://www.google.com/search?q=3DSTATUS..LCK&hl=3Den&lr=3D&safe=3Doff&start=3D10&sa=3DN
Google Search: STATUS..LCK

I came up with two pages that allowed me to understand the STATUS..LCK
issues:
http://www.q-linux.com/FAQ/samba-faq.html
---quote----
"Couldn't open status file STATUS..LCK

If you run smbstatus before anyone has ever connected to your new Samba
installation then you may get the error:

Couldn't open status file /var/lock/samba/STATUS..LCK

or possibly the error:

ERROR smb_shm_open : open failed with code No such file or directory ERROR:
Failed to initialize share modes! Can't initialize shared memory - exiting

both of these errors are harmless. The appropriate files and memory segment=
get automatically created the first time you connect to Samba. Try
connecting with smbclient and you should find that smbstatus is happy after
your first connection"
---end quote---
So I tried to find my Samba server in the network neighborhood of my Win98
machine.  Nope, couldn't find it. Followed DIAGNOSIS.txt, pinged the Samba
machine, etc. no luck. Plus smbstatus wouldn't work...

And then I found:

http://plug.skylab.org/199910/msg00535.html
Re: [PLUG] samba issues.....

Mikey Mohr wrote:
>=20
> >
> > OK, one more test. On the linux box, type smbstatus.
> > What's that say?
>=20
> root@mike1:/etc > smbstatus
> Couldn't open status file /var/lock/samba/STATUS..LCK

---quote----
There is some version floating around out there that won't create this
necessary lock file. I had that problem and solved it by just creating
an empty STATUS..LCK file in the correct directory.

cd /var/lock/samba
touch STATUS..LCK

davido

----end  quote----
=80 aha!  So I did this, only in /var/spool/lock/ instead:
root@mymachine /var/spool/lock#touch STATUS..LCK

Then I restarted samba:
root@mymachine /var/spool/lock#cd /usr/local/etc/rc.d/
root@mymachine /usr/local/etc/rc.d/#./samba.sh stop
root@mymachine /usr/local/etc/rc.d/#./samba.sh start
<<I could have sent a -HUP signal to the smb and nmb processes right??>>
Then I typed smbstatus and voil=E0, it worked.
Next, I went to my Win98 box, and looked in Network Neighborhood, hey, my
samba server is there!
Next, the thorny problem of encrypted passwords---

Cheers,=20
Forret