Date:      Sat, 09 Dec 1995 08:31:15 -0500
From:      Paul Fox <pgf@American.COM>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: package names

 > However, I'm not sure how we can add this without potential clashes
 > with the original versions.  For instance, there ARE xv-3.10a,
 > Xaw3d-1.2a, etc., on the original master sites...also, letters as `a'
 > or `b' are often used to mean "alpha" "beta" and such, or small
 > changes (like in the case of xv and Xaw3d examples).

doesn't this problem exist?  there is already the potential
for a name clash between the freebsd package name and the name of the
distribution on the original site (though i assume this tends to be avoided
during the original port).  seems like you'd need to add something more
descriptive to the name (e.g. xv-3.10a.freebsd-pkg1.1.tgz :-) to avoid
it.

paul
    paul fox                            american internet corporation
    pgf@american.com			(home: pgf@foxharp.boston.ma.us)