Date:      Fri, 17 Aug 2001 15:21:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      john.raynor@tufts.edu
To:        Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Audio support on a Toshiba Satellite 335CDS

Quoting Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>:
> Audio CDs may already work (assuming your mixer defaults to
> sane values).  Try inserting a CD and running "cdcontrol"

I found "cdcontrol" on my own last night, and gave it a try.
It seemed to be reasonably happy -- it could recognize the
tracks on CDs, knew how long each one was, and could be told
to play a particular track.  There was only one little problem:
it never produced any *sound* (aside, that is, from the purely
machanical whirring of the active CD drive... <foolish grin> )

> If it's going to work, then it will work by just adding "device pcm"
> to the kernel.
>
> A quicker and easier way might be to run "kldload snd_pcm" as root.
> To see if it worked, run dmesg immediatly afteward and look for the
> pcm: xxxxxx messages.  If it says something like:
> pcmN: <OPL3-SA3> port blah irq blah at device blah on blah then it
> worked.

Bleah.  I logged in as root, and gave this a try, but had no success.
I checked the "/modules" directory, and found nothing named "snd_pcm".

I looked in "/dev" and found neither "opl" nor "pcm".

I also looked in "/usr/src/sys/dev", and couldn't find "opl" or "pcm"
there, either.  I did, however, find something named "sound", but didn't
feel up to messing with it without further advice.
                                                            - J. Raynor