Date:      Tue, 4 Jul 1995 14:40:17 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Rashid Karimov." <rashid@haven.ios.com>
To:        davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        karl@bagpuss.demon.co.uk, henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Random Lockups

		Hi there,

> >	I'm wondering how many ppl here run FreeBSD PCs as _servers.
> >	Say 3500-3000 accounts in  /etc/passwd , 50-60 of them on-line
> >	(average) , everybody has his own WEB page , POP3 and stuff/
> >	Average 250-280 processes running in the same  time .
> >	5-6 user partitions with QUOTAs . How stable is _this combination ,
> >	if any ? IMHO , not very stable ...I run it on different P90 systems
> >	- not the same brand - so that's definitely not the problem with
> >	particular HW.
>
>    Not a large number of people do this. It is for this very reason that it is
> *very* important for people that do have busy machines to provide as much
> diagnostic information as possible when there is a failure. The above is the
> first time you've mentioned anything at all about how the machine is used.
> Other than "different P90 systems", I still don't know anything about what
> hardware you are using.

	I've been trying to provide all the info in all problem
	reports here . Sometimes there is nothing to report though -
	when the systme  just silently reboots - w/o panicing.

	Is there any info available on DDB usage ?
	I wonder if DDB is as proof as SUN's boot monitor ?
	I mean even with hang PC would one be able to wake up
	the DDB via that magic sequence ? Ctrl+Alt+Esc ?

>    It seems to me that you are more interested in putting down 2.0.5R than you

	Nope ! I'm interested in having stable release which would
	be tailored for big servers installs rather than for WS ones,
	in whih there will be the easy way to upgrade to new release.

	I'm not interested ( frankly speaking) in having support for every
	fancy new device - sound cards and/or having_one_percent_of_the_market
	adapters.

> are interested in helping to fix whatever problem you are having for 2.1R. If
> this is the case, then I think we all have better things to do.

	I'm sorry if some1 here got the feeling that I'm some critic
	from Linux/other Unix camp. I am not :)
	I do think that majority of ppl who read this thread understand
	the situation of sysadmin with ~10.000 accounts on the systems
	like FreeBSD.

	Rashid

	Nice holiday to  everybody ! :))