Date:      Wed, 11 Jan 2006 18:18:40 -0500
From:      Rob Clark <vx2@tds.net>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Cc:        Alexander@Leidinger.net
Subject:   Sound Not Working After SRC Update

Hi,

I just updated 6-STABLE - the first time since November 17,
2005. To find out that my sound with my ensoniq card no
longer works. I'll try to be thorough without being
confusing, if other info is required, please let me know
what is needed.

A quick bit about my system before I get into the sound
issue:

FreeBSD x7.frogdoor.org 6.0-STABLE FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #0:
Wed Jan 11 09:12:48 EST 2006

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7VAX -- which has onboard sound - however,
I've used the onboard sound since I built the
system (years ago).  I think the onboard sound must be
driven by a Creative driver as that is what shows up in
dmesg - this was disabled according to mobo manual when I
built the system (can't remember if I had to move a jumper
or not - I can find this out if need be).  I've always used
a Ensoniq sound card, and have been loading the sound module
through /boot/loader.conf as follows: snd_es137x_load="YES"
without issue.

pcm dmesg entries are as follows:

OLD DMESG (when sound worked):
===============================
pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> port 0xd400-0xd43f irq 19 at
device 11.0 on pci0 pcm0: <Cirrus Logic CS4297A AC97 Codec>
pcm0: [GIANT-LOCKED]

NEW DMESG (now, sound doesn't work):
====================================
pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> port 0xd400-0xd43f irq 19 at
device 11.0 on pci0 pcm0: AC97 reset timed out.
pcm0: <Cirrus Logic CS4297A AC97 Codec>
pcm0: ac97 codec reports dac not
ready pcm0: <Playback: DAC2 /
Record: ADC>

Unsuccessful things I've tried:
===============================
1.) I did pkg_delete on mplayer and reinstalled mplayer.
Yes, I tried to do the 'make deinstall' and 'make reinstall'
as suggested by /usr/src/UPDATING, but kept running into the
'could not make' issue. Something to do with:
mplayer-gtk-esound-0.99.7_9 not being found - which I don't
understand since mplayer was installed at this point and
working, just without sound.

So I did pkg_delete mplayer-gtk-esound-0.99.7_9
then cd'd to the ports directory for mplayer and did
make install clean

I also did the same with
gmencoder - which probably wasn't necessary.

Still, no sound with sound card.

2.) Commented out entry in /boot/loader.conf - rebooted and
did
kldload sound.ko

3.) Made entry into /boot/loader.conf
snd_driver_load="YES"
which loaded all available drivers according to
man pcm - still no help.

4.) I've tried commenting out
snd_es137x_load="YES" in /boot/loader.conf
and loading this module by hand after reboot - the results
appear to be the same in dmesg - so it doesn't seem to
matter whether the system probes with the module in the
/boot/loader.conf or if I load the module after a boot by
hand.

Attached is requested info for Alexander Leidinger per his
request from:
http://docs.FreeBSD.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20051230212538.4feabddc

cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Creative CT5880-C> at io 0xd400 irq 19 kld snd_es137x
(1p/1r/0v channel s duplex default)

pciconf -vl
agp0@pci0:0:0:  class=0x060000 card=0x50001458
chip=0x31891106 rev=0x00 hdr=0x 00
    vendor   = 'VIA Technologies Inc'
    device   = 'VT8377 Apollo KT400/A/600 CPU to PCI Bridge'
    class    = bridge
    subclass = HOST-PCI
pcib1@pci0:1:0: class=0x060400 card=0x00000080
chip=0xb1681106 rev=0x00 hdr=0x 01
    vendor   = 'VIA Technologies Inc'
    device   = 'ProSavageDDR P4X333 CPU to AGP 2.0/3.0
Bridge'    class    = bridge
    subclass = PCI-PCI
dc0@pci0:10:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x05701317
chip=0x09851317 rev=0x11 hdr=0x 00
    vendor   = 'ADMtek Inc'
    device   = 'ADMteck AN983 FastNIC 10/100 Fast Ethernet
Adapter'    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet
pcm0@pci0:11:0: class=0x040100 card=0x20001274
chip=0x58801274 rev=0x02 hdr=0x 00
    vendor   = 'Creative (Was: Ensoniq)'
    device   = '5880 AudioPci'
    class    = multimedia
    subclass = audio
isab0@pci0:17:0:    class=0x060100 card=0x50011458
chip=0x31771106 rev=0x00 hd r=0x00
    vendor   = 'VIA Technologies Inc'
    device   = 'VT8235 PCI to ISA Bridge'
    class    = bridge
    subclass = PCI-ISA
atapci0@pci0:17:1:  class=0x01018a card=0x50021458
chip=0x05711106 rev=0x06 hd r=0x00
    vendor   = 'VIA Technologies Inc'
    device   = 'VT82xxxx EIDE Controller (All VIA Chipsets)'
    class    = mass storage
    subclass = ATA
rl0@pci0:19:0:  class=0x020000 card=0x813910ec
chip=0x813910ec rev=0x10 hdr=0x 00
    vendor   = 'Realtek Semiconductor'
    device   = 'RT8139 (A/B/C/810x/813x/C+) Fast Ethernet
Adapter'    class    = network
    subclass = ethernet
none0@pci1:0:0: class=0x030000 card=0x19f8102b
chip=0x0525102b rev=0x04 hdr=0x 00
    vendor   = 'Matrox Electronic Systems Ltd.'
    device   = 'MGA G450 Dual Head Chip of G450 graphics
card'    class    = display
    subclass = VGA

I will be busy on this machine tonight 1900-0400EST
w/work related tasks.  However, I will able to fullfill
any requests tomorrow - Thursday Jan 12 -- just let me know
what information is needed - I have no further knowledge to
troubleshoot this item.

Thanks,
Rob