Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 2008 00:10:44 -0800
From:      Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Copying audio CD with dd/cdrecord produces unplayable CD

Polytropon wrote:

> It sounds like "byte order reversal" which makes the typical noise.
> In order to 1:1 copy a CD, I'd recommend the use of the cdrdao
> tool - "cdrdao read-cd" and "cdrdao write" are the commands.
> It's easy to use them in order to get a CD "at once" and then
> reproduce it to blank media.
>
> If you need to use cdrecord, you can "preprocess" the .cdr
> files with "sox -x". You can always use the "play" command
> (from sox) to check what your files sound like.
>
> This is a sample command to turn .cdr files into .wav files,
> just to illustrate the correct parameters for interpreting
> the .cdr (CD audio data) format:
>
> 	sox -r 14400 -c 2 -b -L -S ${OUTFILE}.cdr ${OUTFILE}.wav

Thank you Polytropon,
Byte order was really a problem.
Strange that burncd is supposed to take the original byteorder and
cdrecord takes reversed one.

> I didn't try burncd since FreeBSD 4. Since then, I#m very
> comfortable with cdrecord and cdrdao and the atapicam facility.

burncd is still recommended by handbook for ATAPI CDROMs
for some reason.
I feel like cdrecord is much nicer and once suggested to retire
burncd in handbook and to always recommend cdrecord instead.
But some people disagreed.

Thanks for your helpful response,
Yuri