Date:      Sun, 21 Jun 1998 22:45:16 PDT
From:      "Pixel King" <pixelking@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   install difficulties

hi,

i have oodles of experience with all kinds of windows/dos based os's...
but FreeBSD completely befuddles me.

I used System Commander Deluxe to prepare a BSD-formatted partition on
my system (the first partition on my first and only ide hard drive). I
used fdimage to copy the boot.flp to a floppy, and that boots fine.

I go through and i identify my hardware, which is correct and on the
compatible list, and when i hit 'q' and then 'y' to save settings, my
system reads from the floppy for a moment, then hits the hard drive for
a millisecond, then it locks up, with the white block cursor in the top
left-hand corner. i've waited long periods of time, to no avail.

I have a DFI BX chipset motherboard, a celeron 266 chip, 64mb sdramm, a
maxtor 7gb ide drive, ide floppy, ide (on second chain) 32x cd-rom
drive, audiopci ensoniq sound card, isa diamond 56k pnp modem, pci
matrox millenium 2mb video card, pci pure3d voodoo 1 video card, and isa
ne2000 compatible nic.

thanks in advance,
jake