Date:      Sun, 8 Jun 2003 23:35:29 +0200
From:      Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
To:        Ken Thompson <spooky@cableone.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Startup files

On Sun, Jun 08, 2003 at 03:10:13PM -0600, Ken Thompson wrote:
> Where do I put things to load during boot, things like loading modules and
> starting kdm?? Poked about some and am working my way through the complete
> bsd #3 as well as the "book" which I downloaded, but I haven't found
> reference to the above, yet..
> Thanks to all in advance.

things you install from the ports or through packages get started from
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/ . Things in the base system get configured to start
in /etc/rc.conf and ge tstarted by scripts in /etc/rc.d (for 5.0 and later).
kdm gets started through /etc/ttys (I think... maybe there is also a
different method). Modules can be loaded from /boot/loader.conf.

hope that helps, t.