Date:      Thu, 16 Jun 2016 11:55:05 +0200
From:      Torsten Zuehlsdorff <tz@FreeBSD.org>
To:        ruby@freebsd.org
Subject:   Obsoleting Rails 3: how to handle different cases

Hello,

while working on obsoleting Rails 3 from the ports, i stumble across
various unclear cases. For example:

1) how to handle different copies of an gem with different
rails-dependencies. For example www/rubygem-haml-rails and
www/rubygem-haml-rails-rails4. Both have the same function, but the
first is outdated.

2) how to handle ports which seems not to be required any more.
databases/rubygem-dm-* for example seems to be left alone and there is
no non-rubygem-port requiring this. I would set the complete tree of
ports to expiration in this case.

3) how to handle slaves? there were -rails4 ports which are purely
slaves to set the dependency to rails 4 instead of 3. Updating the
master to rails 4 dependency obsoletes the slave. I would prefer to:
update the master, obsolete the slave and switch dependencies of ports
from the slaves to the master.

What is your opinion?

Greetings,
Torsten