Date:      Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:24:28 +0100
From:      Thomas Hafner <th-freebsd-questions@square.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   EISA I/O port status error.panic: NMI indicates hardware failure

Hi,

one of my maschines shows a interesting problem.

[/var/log/messages]
Dec 19 03:34:35 farad /kernel: NMI ISA 2d, EISA 3f
Dec 19 03:34:35 farad /kernel: EISA I/O port status error.panic: NMI indicates hardware failure
Dec 19 03:34:35 farad /kernel:
Dec 19 03:34:35 farad /kernel: syncing disks... 69 2
Dec 19 03:34:35 farad /kernel: done
Dec 19 03:34:35 farad /kernel: Uptime: 1d11h12m8s
Dec 19 03:34:35 farad /kernel: Automatic reboot in 15 seconds - press a key on the console to abort
Dec 19 03:34:35 farad /kernel: Rebooting...

The box was running for over a year with no problems, started with
4.6 and from time to time got upgraded. Currently running
FreeBSD farad 4.9-STABLE FreeBSD 4.9-STABLE #7: Fri Oct 31 09:39:10 CET 2003     root@farad:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/FARAD  i386
and with this kernel running over a month without any problems.

A few days ago I had running some cpu intensive stuff, so the system
got hot and after 30h or so the box died. After powering and cooling
down the system it was alive again. Now it shows this problem.

Any guesses where the hardware problem is?

thx, \Thomas\bye

--
Wer sich zuviel mit kleinen Dingen abgibt,
wird gewoehnlich unfaehig zu grossen.              Rochefoucauld