Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 13:12:37 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Schlenker <schlenke@fmi.uni-passau.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XTERM

Schlenker <schlenke@fmi.uni-passau.de> types:
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2001, Robert T.G. Tan wrote:
> > Where does TERM get set, if not in ~/.*rc, or /etc/whatever-default-configs
>
> Like most Un*x progs it reads is configuration from ~/.Xdefaults. A
> friends .Xdefaults looks like the following (Thank you Timon):

Very few Unix progs read ~/.Xdefaults. It's an X thing, and only
looked at by X programs - if they bother. Personally, I never use
~/.Xdefaults; I use ~/.Xresources and XAPPLRESDIR.

The TERM variable is initialized by the program that creates the user
session (typically login) with the default value from /etc/ttys.

	<mike