Date:      Sun, 30 Jan 2005 15:16:06 +0100
From:      Anton Berezin <tobez@FreeBSD.org>
To:        perl@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   [HEADS UP] perl symlinks in /usr/bin will NOT be gone

On Sat, Jan 29, 2005 at 09:24:25PM +0100, Anton Berezin wrote:
> Unless I hear too many cries "don't do that" (with justification), I
> plan to not create any perl symlinks in /usr/bin in the forthcoming
> upgrade of both lang/perl5.8 (to 5.8.6) and lang/perl5 (to 5.6.2).  This
> will ONLY be true for FreeBSD 5.X and FreeBSD CURRENT;  the existing
> pollution of /usr/bin will still be performed for older versions of
> FreeBSD, if requested via use.perl script.

Out of all the arguments against this change the most persuasive for me
was the one of ISPs having to modify all their customers' scripts.

So - this change is out.  Instead:

- use.perl is gone in 5.X and -CURRENT, but not in 4.X;
- its functions are delegated to pkg-install, namely:
  - symlink creation, due to the seeming consensus of this thread;  it
    will be done better than it is done now;  in particular, more
    symlinks will be created (perldoc, percc etc), and dangling
    symlinks will be removed on deinstall;
  - spamming of /etc/make.conf, which we need for ports;  this is also
    going to be less intrusive than it is now;
  - spamming of /etc/manpath.config

Thank you all for the discussion.
\Anton.
--
The moronity of the universe is a monotonically increasing function. --
Jarkko Hietaniemi