Date:      Thu, 14 Jan 1999 20:09:03 -0800
From:      Piet Delaney <piet@cup.hp.com>
To:        dg@root.com, ckempf@enigami.com
Cc:        piet@hpfsvr02.cup.hp.com, piet@piet.net, obrien@nuxi.com, tef@postgres.dtcom.dp.ua, joe@monk.via.ne, stevet@acs.stritch.edu, casanoba@ailab10.sogang.ac.kr, fischer@nwe.ufl.edu, stealth-admin@viaduk.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, gibbs@FreeBSD.ORG, edmond@shaman.cup.hp.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG, jack@rome.cs.miami.edu, deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org, hank@wsm.com, xiyuan@npc.haplink.com.cn, gigabyte@tpts1.seed.net.tw, info-gbt@giga-byte.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, dg@root.com, nasir@asacomputers.com, rwm@tansoft.com, oblio@eyeintegrated.com, mango@staff.communique.net
Subject:   Looking for Suggestion on Booting FreeBSD 3.0 on a Gigabyte GA-6BXDS board with Dual Pentiun II and Adaptec 7895 Ultra Wide SCSI-3 Controlers

Hi David, Cory, Dave, Folks:

	I thought it was about time to try out
FreeBSD, most likely 3.0, so I picked up a PC
board from Gigabyte, the GA-6BXDS Dual Scsi-3
that has an onboard Adaptec 7895 controler.
About a year ago you (David) said Justin was working
on a 7895 scsi controler. I didn't see anything
in the FreeBSD handbook on support for the Adaptic
7895 (seems to be getting rather out of date).
Now I've read from Cory that you need a CAM scsi
driver. Last I see it was still only available as
patches. Why is it taking so long to get it integrated
into the current src? So I have to get an IDE drive and
install onto that, get the CAM patches (from where?),
run patch, etc... and linux supports it a standard
controler? I can't believe this.

Perhaps you could update me on the 7895 support
and perhaps have some suggestion on setting up this
board to run FreeBSD. For example can I boot the
3.0 FreeBSD off of a CDROM on the scsi adapters;
I sort of doubt it.

Is the FreeBSD getting the information it needs from
Gigabyte and Adaptec so that these boards are well
supported?

-piet