Date:      Sat, 4 Nov 2000 18:58:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@gshapiro.net>
To:        Pilli <reissell@cc.helsinki.fi>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: mail.local permissions

reissell> Just cvsup'ed to 4.2-BETA and sendmail's local mailer refused to
reissell> play ball. After a little hair-pulling I noticed the permissions
reissell> of /usr/libexec/mail.local lacked the setuid bit. Mail.local
reissell> would return an error (75 if I recall) everytime it was called
reissell> because it didn't have permissions to write to
reissell> /var/mail/so-and-so.

Please read the release notes when upgrading:

  mail.local(8) is no longer installed as a set-user-id binary.  If you
  are using a /etc/mail/sendmail.cf from the default sendmail.cf
  included with FreeBSD any time after 3.1.0, you are fine.  If you are
  using a hand-configured sendmail.cf and mail.local for delivery, check
  to make sure the F=S flag is set on the Mlocal line.  Those with .mc
  files who need to add the flag can do so by adding the following line
  to their your .mc file and regenerating the sendmail.cf file:
  MODIFY_MAILER_FLAGS(`LOCAL', `+S')dnl
  Note that FEATURE(`local_lmtp') already does this.