Date:      Fri, 24 Nov 2017 13:04:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        Diane Bruce <db@db.net>
Cc:        "A. Wilcox" <AWilcox@Wilcox-Tech.com>, freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The future of fortune(6)

> On Fri, Nov 24, 2017 at 02:40:42PM -0600, A. Wilcox wrote:
> > On 24/11/17 13:19, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> > > hi,
> > >
> > > Pardon me, but it's 2017 and the 4.3BSD system index isn't an immutable bible.
> > >
> > > As a general push to packaging things in general, turning fortune into
> > > a package seems like some low hanging fruit.
> > >

> > > -adrian
> >

> > This, so much this.  Why is it so controversial to put the thing in a
> > package?  Why do people want so badly to just remove it?  Why wasn't it
> > discussed about putting it in a package?
>
> Let's bring back badblocks too while we are at it.

Its badsect(8) and it has valid uses, even today.  You can get ufs/ffs
drives that develope a bad block, you can fix the immediate issue with
badsect and a fsck, you loose a file.

I have a 500G drive that has a spot that gets an error, smart flags
it as a pending relocation sector, when I back up and wipe the drive
to clear the pending hoping it well relocate it the drive decides hey,
I wrote and now read back that data so it is not bad, so puts it back
in the good sectors.  Repeat a few times and you quickly learn to use
badsect t just map that sector out and let UFS never use it again.

Now I have this ufs drive... if I stick it on a 12.x current system
it is probalby not gona like my badsect(8) that I have done and I
am unclear as what may happen.

And once again no one followed commiters guide 17.4 even though I
pointed out we have a deprication procedure...