Date:      Mon, 25 Sep 2000 13:45:25 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
To:        Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, FreeBSD Ports <ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: makeport part deux - automated port creation tools.

On Mon 2000-09-25 (04:53), Will Andrews wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 03:45:26AM +0200, Neil Blakey-Milner wrote:
> > Anyway, I've only just got back to hacking on these.  makeport.pl also
> > attempted USE_GMAKE if 'make' failed in a specific way, and searched for
> > ALL_TARGET, if it wasn't 'all'.  Anyway, I'd love some comments.
>
> Plus, have you considered using templates to do certain things?  Maybe
> adding a utility to the makeport script to generate PLISTs (nahh.. that
> ought to go in bsd.port.mk and called from makeport)?

Yes, these (mkpskel, mkpextr) are just the first two of the four steps
that makeport.pl used to do.  That's guess the name and build the
skeleton, and then extract and glean some info.

mkpbuild and mkpinstall (or whatever they're to be named) try to build
the port, and make occasional guesses about build failures (not
particularly well), and mkpinstall will install them, generate a PLIST,
and hopefully pick up things like INSTALLS_SHLIB, MAN*, &c.

The reason I stopped hacking on makeport.pl is that it was too
monolithic, and I couldn't actually get it work on any ports anymore,
just generate skeletons and fail building.  Now the individual steps are
available, like just generating a PLIST.  Maybe with OpenBSD's 'fake'
stuff, this won't be necessary, but we probably have a way to go with
that.

I have to dash due to hideous phone tariffs during the day, and today
being a public holiday over here.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner