Date:      Wed, 1 Apr 1998 22:31:11 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Andrew Maltsev <am@amsoft.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Tape backup technique

Hello!

Is there any good tutorial on doing tape backups? I have a lot of
unanswered questions and all the process is not clean for in
details..

Is it really impossible to know current tape position?

How to exclude some fast growing directories from backup (it seems
inpossible with dump)?

My SCSI HP SureStore (HP HP35480A T603) cannot reliably tell when the
tape finished to `dump -a'. What to do?

Is there any suitable software (flexible I mean) to do backups? May be
commercial..

I checked amanda, but it uses dump and so derives all its
limitations.

Excuse me for stupid questions, but I'm new to tapes..

Andrew.