Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2006 21:29:08 +0300
From:      a@zeos.net
To:        eoghan <eoghanj@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sendmail

On Fri, Aug 25, 2006 at 04:00:08PM +0100, eoghan wrote:
> Hello
> Im using sylpheed for my mail (its work mail). Having some issues sending from
> their smtp server to non-work accounts.
> I have sendmail installed but I have never used it before and am wondering if I
> can use this through my local machine to send my mail?
> Thanks
> Eoghan

Yes, you can.
You should define smart host for your sendmail, if I understand your task
right.
The standartd way is to include

define(`SMART_HOST', `smart.host')

where smart.host is your mail server
into the .mc file in /etc/mail (by default), recompile .cf file with
new .mc source, and restart sendmail.

Then your sendmail will send all outgoing mail through smart.host.

You should also set up proper authentication data, if your mail server wants
you to authenticate youself.

Best regards,
Elisej Babenko