Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 12:07:21 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Langa Kentane <LKentane@mweb.com>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD newbie question

On Saturday, 27 February 1999 at 14:22:06 +0200, Langa Kentane wrote:
> This is not really related to the list.
>
> My question is that besides the kernel and the underlying code, is there a
> difference in the file system and the way that you configure FreeBSD and
> other unices line Solaris.

Yes.  The file systems are very similar (I believe that Solaris 2
offers UFS, but I think they also have some other file system which is
compatible at a user level), but they're not the same.

Configuration can be quite different, depending on what you mean.
Some things are similar, others are unrecognizably different.

> I want to go for Solaris Certification but I don't have the OS to do
> hands on training on.  Could I use a Solaris Book and FreeBSD-3.0
> for hands on exercises?

That depends on the exercises.  You could probably use FreeBSD for a
lot, but not all of them.

Greg