Date:      Thu, 7 Dec 2000 22:04:54 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   FreeBSD as a dialup ROUTER/GATEWAY

Dear Sir,
I am writing to say that today I configured FreeBSD to act as a dialup
gateway for a small network of 20 computers.
Since this is not a very small number I was wondering whether you can
advice me on TWO things:

1. Being a dialup connection (leased line -33600 bps link) I think it will
be rather a slow one. Is it possible to run a proxy server like SQUID to
help those who will be surfing the net?

2. Is it practical to run a mail server (I prefer EXIM) in this kind of
setup. If so I'll be very grateful if you can advise me on how to go about
it.
I am looking at using a totally FreeBSD solution since this is a setup for
a small community college that I am nobly supporting. I would like them to
be able to send and receive e-mail both internally and to the Internet.
Can I do this with EXIM via a dialup?

Thank you in advance for the help.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Ignorance must certainly be bliss or there wouldn't be so many people so
resolutely pursuing it.