Date:      Tue, 7 Jan 1997 13:53:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Typographic conventions

In working on the docbook stuff, I have to establish typographic
conventions for things like filenames, commands, variables and
the like.  I thought I would just clone O'Reilly conventions, but
just about every O'Reilly book I looked at was different!

Do people have strong preferences?  Below the main docbook
elements of interest.  See
http://www.ora.com/homepages/jasper/DocBook/ref.htm for more
detailed descirptions.

Cast your votes now!

Abbrev- Abbreviation, especially one followed by a period
Acronym- Pronounceable contraction of initials
Application- Name of a software program
ClassName- Name of the class to which a program component belongs
Command- Executable program, or the entry a user makes to execute a command
ComputerOutput- Data presented to the user by a computer
Database- Name of an organized set of data
Email- Email address in an Address
Emphasis- Emphasized text
ErrorName- Error message reported by a computer
ErrorType- Classification of an error message reported by a computer
Filename- Name of a file, possibly including pathname
FirstTerm- First occurrence of a word in a given context
ForeignPhrase- Word or words in a language other than that of the containing document
Function- Subroutine in a program or external library
GUIButton- Text on a button in a graphical user interface
GUIIcon- Graphic and, or, text appearing as a icon in a graphical user interface
GUILabel- Text in a graphical user interface
GUIMenu- Name of a menu in a graphical user interface
GUIMenuItem- Name of a terminal menu item in a graphical user interfac
GUISubmenu- Name of a submenu in a graphical user interface
GlossTerm- Term outside a Glossary that is defined in some GlossEntry
Hardware- Physical part of a computer system
Interface- Element of a graphical user interface
InterfaceDefinition- Specification for a graphical user interface
KeyCap- Text printed on a physical key on a computer keyboard, not
            necessarily the same thing as a KeyCode
KeyCode- Computer's numeric designation of a key on a computer keyboard
KeyCombo- Combination of input actions
KeySym- Key symbol name, which is not necessarily the same thing as a Keycap
MediaLabel- Name of the physical medium on or in which some information
            is contained
MenuChoice- Menu selection or series of such selections
MouseButton- Conventional name of a mouse button
MsgText- Contents of the parts of Msg
Option- Option for a computer program command
Optional- Optional information contained in a Synopsis
Parameter- Part of an instruction to a computer
Property- Defined set of data associated with a window
Replaceable- Content that may be replaced in a synopsis or command line
ReturnValue- Value returned by a function
StructField- Field in a Structure
StructName- Name of a Structure
Symbol- Name that is replaced by a value before processing
SystemItem- System-related term or item
Token- Unit of information in the context of lexical analysis
Type- Classification of a value
UserInput- Data entered by the user

-john