Date:      Thu, 25 Dec 2014 18:51:56 +1030
From:      Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@ShaneWare.Biz>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Alexander Motin <mav@freebsd.org>, hselasky@freebsd.org, mjg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help debugging stable/10

On 17/12/2014 02:59, John Baldwin wrote:
> On Wednesday, December 10, 2014 8:38:21 pm Shane Ambler wrote:
>> Since upgrading to 10.1 (RC2) I have had trouble getting uptimes greater
>> than 1 day. I have little experience debugging the OS so could use some
>> help.
>>

> It looks like your processes are hanging on a global lock used by sysctl(3).
> That would explain hangs in top/ps/procstat as they all use sysctls.  For
> example:

Hi again,

I just had a usb failure while still able to start processes so have a
bit more info. It took approximately 45 minutes before other things
locked up and I was unable to create new processes, I couldn't gather
any more info at that time.

http://shaneware.biz/freebsddebugdata/procstat-2014-12-25-15-52
http://shaneware.biz/freebsddebugdata/kgdb.output-2014-12-25-15-52

FreeBSD leader.local 10.1-STABLE FreeBSD 10.1-STABLE #1 r276101: Tue
Dec 23 16:19:53 ACDT 2014
root@leader.local:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

Shortly before the time of the procstat and kgdb output I inserted a
usb memstick and it failed to create the device entries, I removed and
reinserted the stick and the detach event showed in log/messages but
not the re-insertion. I tried inserting two different branded memsticks
in two physical slots and both failed to show insert events. I was
running poudriere at the time but stopped that before logging the data.

I see 3 entries in procstat that have _sx_xlock_hard -

     6 100058 g_journal switcher g_journal switch mi_switch+0xe1
sleepq_wait+0x3a _sx_xlock_hard+0x48a _sx_xlock+0x5d
g_journal_switcher+0x1ca fork_exit+0x9a fork_trampoline+0xe

    13 100015 geom             g_event          mi_switch+0xe1
sleepq_wait+0x3a _sx_xlock_hard+0x48a g_run_events+0x82 fork_exit+0x9a
fork_trampoline+0xe

    16 100073 pagedaemon       -                mi_switch+0xe1
sleepq_wait+0x3a _sx_xlock_hard+0x48a _sx_xlock+0x5d
g_journal_lowmem+0xa3 vm_pageout+0x2bf fork_exit+0x9a fork_trampoline+0xe

--
FreeBSD - the place to B...Software Developing

Shane Ambler