Date:      Sun, 28 Jan 2001 19:09:50 -0800
From:      Rob <europax@home.com>
To:        Dan Nelson <dnelson@emsphone.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: compiling under compat/linux- Secrets?

Dan Nelson wrote:

> In the last episode (Jan 28), Rob said:
> > I am wondering if anyone can tell me the secrets to compiling under
> > compat/linux?  I looked at the archives and did find one useful post
> > about invoking /usr/compat/linux/bin/bash before doing the configure and
> > make.  I imagine that some changes might be needed to the configure
> > script.  I've played around with it but it seems that the needed
> > libraries and includes are not being found.  I've verified that they do
> > exist.
>
> You installed ports/devel/linux_devtools?
>
> > I am trying to compile the "vsound" linux program, used for intercepting
> > calls to /dev/dsp and storing the audio stream to a file.
>
> You shouldn't have to compile in Linux compat mode to get that to work;
> our /dev/dsp is completely compatible with Linux's.  The only time you
> really need to build a Linux binary should be if you have to link to
> a library that you don't have the source to, or if you're
> cross-compiling for a Linux target.
>
> --
>         Dan Nelson
>         dnelson@emsphone.com

I compiled a FreeBSD "vsound" but linux-realplayer complained that the
libvsound.so was incompatible, so thats why I thought I needed a linux
version of the library.

This vsound program is very clever.  The vsound wrapper preloads the
vsound library which then substitutes its own open() close() write() etc
before calling realplayer.  So realplayer thinks its talking to
/dev/dsp, when its actually not. Vsound then saves the sound file.

Rob.