Date:      Mon, 12 Apr 1999 13:48:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@flood.ping.uio.no>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Some ideas on the evolution of -CURRENT

On Sun, 11 Apr 1999, Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> On 12 Apr 1999, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
>
> > Hey gang,
> >
> > Here are a few ideas I have running around my head about things I'd
> > love to see happen to -CURRENT:
> >
> >  - Insert Your Favorite Vapor Feature: ____________________________
>
> OK:
>
> 1)  A method to communicate successful boot (persistence) between the
> kernel and the bootblocks, so if a newly built kernel fails to boot, it
> drops back to the older kernel, and reboots with it.

The old bootblocks had this with the whistle options we added.
(we use it in the field to upgrade THOUSANDS of boxes an dhave only once
had a failure (hardware screwed up)).

> 6)  As many devices moved to KLD's as possible.

KLD is presently broken badly..
the following fails..

1/ compile in module X
2/ load module Y that depends on module X
note that module Y can't find module X because it's not loaded..
(it can only find modules that are loaded and not compiled in)

In out code we added code to automatically load the missing module.
this ended up with TWO COPIES of X in the kernel.

Y talks to one, and the kernel talks to the other so it still doesn't
work.

> 11) Movement of SMB support into the kernel, rather than a user process
> for maximum performance.  (Gotta kick NT's butt, and wouldn't mind dusting
> Linux in the process).

Talking to the SAMBA guys, they indicate the biggest support assistance
would be a case-insensitive case preserving Unicode filesystem.
They have to emulate all that name munging at the moment.
They are already kicking NT's butt in many situations.

julian