Date:      Sun, 16 Apr 2000 21:37:02 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bryan Bradsby <Bryan.Bradsby@capnet.state.tx.us>
To:        Doug Young <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DNS for virtual hosting

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000, Doug Young wrote:

> I need to configure local DNS in 4.0 RELEASE so that a local webserver
> which is really "somewhere.net" can masquerade as
> "someplace_else.com", and also allow mail for / from to be received /
> sent on behalf of "someplace_else.com".

MX records pointing mail for "someplace_else.com" to your sendmail server.
See the sendmail docs on VirtualUserTable to see how to setup to receive
and deliver the incoming mail.

> I know I've gotta do some
> messing around with apache as well, but the documentation for that
> looks reasonably explicit (says he before trying) .... however I
> figure the immediate issue is to get the local DNS stuff sorted out
> before I get into apache.

Two possible solutions here. I like number 2.

1. Use one IP for each virt web site. (wasteful).
   Your zone file would look something like this:

www.someplace_else.com	in  a   www.xxx.yyy.zzz ; virtual IP

2. Use one IP for the apache server, and virtual web sites.

www.someplace_else.com  in  CName   somewhere.net.
www.another_one.com     in  CName   somewhere.net.

Of course number 2 has implications in your apache httpd.conf file.

> I spent most of Sunday on the thing, reading the relevant part of
> "Complete FreeBSD" but since I've never had to learn that stuff before
> its extremely confusing. I got to the end of the section, added files
> etc as per instructions, but when I tested the installation it spat
> out about a thousand weird error messages, so obviously there were
> some things not quite correct :)
>
> however there isn't much about the relative differences between BIND4 &
> BIND8, and for that matter I don't know what 4.0 RELEASE has.

FreeBSD4.0 ships with 8.2.2 -thanks team!

BIND8 is far superior, uses substantially the same file format for the
zone files, but the 'named.boot' is now 'named.conf', looks more like a .c
source file than the table format in the old BIND4.

But that makes no difference to you. Just learn the BIND8, and forget
BIND4.

There is a nice file format guide and man page info at www.isc.org

> "TCP/IP Network Administration" defines four styles of DNS setup,
> resolver only, caching only, primary, & secondary, but doesn't provide
> much info about the implications of using each type. I assume I need
> to setup "primary" as the DNS server has to appear to the domain tribe
> in USA or wherever as a "proper" DNS server. So far its refused to
> acknowledge the "someplace_else.com" site as a "proper" DNS server,
> but given the number of error messages produced when I run "named" I'm
> not particularly surprised. Is there anything else not clearly spelled
> out thats involved in setting up the local stuff so it does present as
> a "proper" DNS server to the domain name folk ??

You need DNS primary and secondary on two separate servers. Preferably
geographically diverse.

> Last question for Monday morning (in OZ) ... Is there something else
> more explicit than "TCP/IP Network Administration" in the way of entry
> level documentation on this area, bearing in mind that since there are
> only a dozen or so machines on the local LAN / WAN, and only one
> "virtual host" I only need the barest essentials to get the thing
> working ??

I like the DNS and BIND (third edition). Just read (and completely
understand) chapters 1 - 4.  No problem  ;-}

If you get stuck, send me your zone files and named.conf.

-bryan