Date:      Fri, 26 Mar 1999 21:39:28 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "G. Adam Stanislav" <zen@buddhist.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux vs. FreeBSD: The Storage Wars

"G. Adam Stanislav" writes:
[...]
> I share your sentiments, Unknown of River Styx. To me FreeBSD is largely a
> big intellectual excercise. A powerful OS to which I dedicate 8 Gig of disk
> space, while I only dedicate 3 Gig to Windows.

I dedicated 20MB to DOS 5 on my 2G disk, upped it to 30MB on my 4G
disk, but could see NT rearing its fat head in my future so the 9G disk
got a 512MB allocation. Balance to FreeBSD. :-)

> But when I actually want to accomplish something, I have no choice but to
> boot Windows. Not because I like it but because I know how to use it. And
> when I don't, I can always figure it out.

There is always the "sink or swim" method. Problem is there isn't
always enough time to recover from drowning.  :-)

When I really am under the gun to produce a pretty document I fire up
the real tool, my Power Macintosh. One day soon I'm going to put
WordPerfect thru the drill under FreeBSD. Was hoping to be playing with
Applixware by now.  :-(

> Under FreeBSD (and, I suppose Unix in general), the solution is no doubt
> available and probably more powerful, but it always requires me to use some
> cryptically named command. Man pages are of little help to me: First of
> all, I would need to know the name of the command to even get to the man
> page. And even when I do, it seems the man page is always written in some
> foreign language that only outwardly resembles English. Apropos usually
> does not help me much either.

I never could remember how to spell apropos but could always remember,
"man -k".

> Just days ago I have installed XFree86 3.3.3.1. Its interface is
> reminiscent of Windows 1.0,

XFree86 puts you in the minimalist barest window manager in existence,
twm. Over the years I keep trying something else but keep falling back
to twm. If only I could select twm windows on their borders, and grow
them on their corners, I'd be happy. I am happy with SGI's default
desktop but don't happen to have an SGI anymore. Don't need the icons.
Liked their windows. Liked their clean desktop menu box thingy they put
in the top left corner of the screen. If you fire up XFree86 via xdm
the default Xsession manager is functional, but ugly, and full of
warnings on exit when it doesn't get the information it wishes out of
your apps as they are shutdown.

> (I kinda suspect that I need more RAM, I only have 8 Meg, although
> that is supposed to be enough.)

8M is more than plenty if its VIDEO RAM, but for core? 16M is the often
quoted minimum. At work they'll only give me 24MB. Works. Netscape has
to swap most every time I pull down a menu. But it works.