Date:      Fri, 13 Dec 2013 18:02:52 +0100
From:      Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@iet.unipi.it>
To:        "Thirunavukarasu Sengalvarayan -X (tsengalv - HCL TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED at Cisco)" <tsengalv@cisco.com>
Cc:        "waas-dev-hyperv\(mailer list\)" <waas-dev-hyperv@cisco.com>, "net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Netmap support for Virtual network driver

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 4:48 PM, Thirunavukarasu Sengalvarayan -X (tsengalv
- HCL TECHNOLOGIES LIMITED at Cisco) <tsengalv@cisco.com> wrote:

>   (Continuing with below mail thread.)
>

> Hi Luigi,
>

> Thanks a lot for your quick response.
>
> Yes we have the source base for hyper-v network driver.
>
> Could you please provide us the patch for Netmap support in Hyper-v
> Network drivers.

sorry i meant that if you send us the guest driver sources
we can try to add netmap support to them.

>  Hyper-v has two kinds of NIC, emulated and Synthetic.
>
> In general emulated network drivers are relatively slow when compared to
> Synthetic network drivers.

 Hence we planned to use synthetic network drivers(netvsc).

> You have pointed that we could use e1000 emulation as another option.
>
> Which driver would be better in terms of performance, Netmap with
> emulation driver or Netmap with synthetic driver?

it all depends on your usage pattern, on how bad is the
hypervisor at emulating the e1000, and especially
how slow is the network backend (virtual switch) used.

In general netmap operates in batches and especially for the
receive side it overcomes some of the limitation of emulation,
often leaving the virtual switch as the bottlenecks.

In the paper we referenced we elaborate further.

in practice, i'd suggest to start with e1000 emulation and
see what kind of performance you are getting, and post the
numbers so i can tell whether it is worthwhile trying
to use a modified synthetic driver.

cheers
luigi

--