Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 2000 15:45:23 -0700
From:      David Harnick-Shapiro <davidhs@intelenet.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SUMMARY: lost X when I ran virtual terminal

The short of it:  to get back to the graphics display, check
/etc/ttys for the xdm line;  you get to the virtual terminal on
ttyv"N" by pressing <Alt><F"N+1"> (the old "start at 0 vs. start
at 1" thingy).  In my case:

ttyv8   "/usr/X11R6/bin/xdm -nodaemon"  xterm   off secure

means I pressed <Alt><F9>, and all is wonderful again.

David Harnick-Shapiro

Thank you all for making me less stupid :-}  I've included the
(rather heavily edited) original replies below:

------- Forwarded Messages

Date:    Thu, 19 Oct 2000 00:20:53 -0400
From:    "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>

I don't know about you, but my /etc/ttys defines the last virtual terminal
(ttyv8) to be where the X server displays results.

So even if you launch X from ttyv1, it's probably displaying the graphics on
ttyv8.

- --
Matthew Emmerton
GSI Computer Services
+1 (800) 217 5409 (Canada)

------- Message 2

Date:    Wed, 18 Oct 2000 21:24:25 -0700
From:    Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>

Alt+f8 (or 9 or 10) depends on your config.

- --
- -Alfred Perlstein - [bright@wintelcom.net|alfred@freebsd.org]

------- Message 3

Date:    Wed, 18 Oct 2000 21:38:25 -0700
From:    Joseph Stein <joes@teleport.com>

press the print screen key until the x window pops up.

don't hold it down, press it and wait a second, then press it again, etc.

joe

------- Message 4

Date:    Thu, 19 Oct 2000 09:37:07 -0400
From:    "Potts, Ross" <rpotts@harris.com>

Just try all the screens with CTL-ALT F<1-12>

------- Message 5

Date:    Thu, 19 Oct 2000 11:48:48 -0400
From:    Marko Ruban <marko@tellurian.com>

Check /etc/ttys file to see which terminal your xterm runs on.
Mine runs on ttyv3 (ctrl+alt+F4).

Or maybe your "experimentation" included something that disabled xdm ?

[Thankfully, no, I didn't do anything that severe  /dbh-s]

------- End of Forwarded Messages