Date:      Fri, 10 Mar 2000 10:14:31 +0200
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        Duke Normandin <01031149@3web.net>
Cc:        Ken Bolingbroke <ken@bolingbroke.com>, freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: OT- Listening to a port

On Wed, Mar 08, 2000 at 09:52:52PM -0700, Duke Normandin wrote:
> On Wednesday, March 08, 2000 11:42 AM Ken Bolingbroke wrote:
>
>> I don't have an immediate answer to your question, but have you tried
>> asking your ISP?  I used to run an ISP's network, and I wouldn't
>> have had any problem with helping a customer get their dialup access
>> working...
>
> The dialer that I have to use (and am using) is only for win9x. There
> is no *nix version. So I'm just trying to figure out how to "capture"
> the "connection dialogue" in order to duplicate it using FBsd and PPP.
> Thanks!

If the dialer for Win 9x uses a different identification "string" each
time you log onto your ISP's ppp server, then you might be searching
for more than just the captured log.  Trying to break an authentication
scheme that is based on some form of 'challenge', might be difficult.

I think that you'll be better off asking your ISP to provide more
information on the dial-in procedure, if they're not going to make a
Unix client soon.

Even if they reply that "we're not distributing a binary of our client
for any Unix because there are so many bloody versions of the OS, that
we could not develop one client working on them all", you can still
reply that given some specification of what the client is expected to
do, you (or some other Unix-guru of the area) can come up with one in a
fair amount of time :)

--
Giorgos Keramidas, < keramida @ ceid . upatras . gr >
For my public PGP key: finger keramida@diogenis.ceid.upatras.gr