Date:      Fri, 08 Jan 1999 10:10:41 -0700
From:      "Betsy Barker" <ELBARKER@Oppenheimerfunds.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installation slicing problem

Tying to install FreeBSD on a PC at home and am having the following problem. I was wondering if you could help me out.

I have a "real" partition of about 1535 M set up on my 3.6Gig Harddrive as freebsd. It is behind my DOS partition, starting at say block # 3153024. It is formated as a type 165 ,called freebsd in Partition Magic.  My problem is this:

During the FreeBSD installation process I need to create the "slices" for the file systems and swap space. Using their window (label maker or something like that), I have the ability to say 20M, FileSystem, and "/" as a mount point. I'm using "/", "/usr", "/var" as mount points.
At that point, I get the error "FreeBSD is unable to deal with this location or the partition is too big". Doesn't matter what size I use. I get  "too big" for everything, including the swap space, which I'm trying to size as 130M (2xRAM amount). I followed the instructions to try and make / 20M, and to create a /var, etc,etc, but all the file systems receive the same error messages.

Do you know what to do?

Thanks in advance,
Betsy Barker