Date:      Thu, 30 May 2002 04:13:29 -0700
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: disabling INET6

--ZmUaFz6apKcXQszQ

On Thu, May 30, 2002 at 01:12:06AM -0500, Christopher Farley wrote:
> If I disable 'options INET6' in my kernel, will that be a problem for=20
> IPv6 aware applications like BIND9 and Mozilla? Will they need to be
> recompiled?

No.

> (I'm having a little IPv6 problem with Mozilla on various FreeBSD
> machines... try going to www.vanguard.com and see how long it takes to
> resolve the address. I've checked my BIND logs and it seems to be=20
> an IPv6/DNS/Mozilla issue. I don't have any problems with this with
> Mozilla on my Debian Linux system, but I do have this issue on three
> different BSD machines.)

Delays/timeouts should only be caused by IPv6 if you actually have an
IPv6 network configured, i.e. if there's a way for the kernel to try
and route packets to the address.  Just by enabling the INET6 kernel
option shouldn't cause any extra delays if you don't actually set it
up.

Kris

--ZmUaFz6apKcXQszQ

--ZmUaFz6apKcXQszQ--