Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2006 23:20:00 -0600
From:      "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        Telting <telting@comcast.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Non blob frebsd raid 5 drivers...

On Jul 27, 2006, at 11:11 PM, Telting wrote:

> I just wanted to get it straight.  I think I read some post that
> said that 3ware actually has and uses commit access to the freebsd
> source tree.  Can anyone comfirm this for me?
>
> I currently have a highpoint 2220 controller.  I got it because of
> the Freebsd support what appeared to be available driver source
> code only to be humilitated to discover after the fact that what's
> labeled source is a "blob" module, and not source at all.
>
> Areca is a name I never heard before this list.  They appartly
> support bsd but, what level of support?  Binary Driver, blob,
> source, or docs?

They appear to have a source driver.

/usr/src/sys/dev/arcmsr
/usr/src/sys/dev/arcmsr/arcmsr.c
/usr/src/sys/dev/arcmsr/arcmsr.h

arcmsr is the driver name for areca (man arcmsr)

top of the .c file reads:

/*
******************
**        O.S   : FreeBSD
**   FILE NAME  : arcmsr.c
**        BY    : Erich Chen
**                ARECA (ARC1110/1120/1160/1210/1220/1260) SATA RAID
HOST Adapter
**                ARCMSR RAID Host adapter[RAID controller:INTEL 331
(PCI-X) 341(PCI-EXPRESS) chip set]
******************
**
** Copyright (c) 2004-2006 ARECA Co. Ltd.
**        Erich Chen, Taipei Taiwan All rights reserved.
**

I have several Areca cards because they support both BSD and Solaris
with their drivers and I run both and want my HW to be as versatile
as possible...  Have not actually run one in BSD yet though that will
happen.  I have several but none are yet in production, just
testing.  They do do quite well in reviews and bake-offs against
other raid cards.

Chad

---
Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC