Date:      Tue, 3 Aug 1999 16:42:07 +0100
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@freebsd.org>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@freebsd.org>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sitting inside, looking out...

Just for completeness;

On Sat, Jul 31, 1999 at 09:42:26PM +0200, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
> 2. Who are the committers anyway ?
> ----------------------------------
>
> All the noise about Matt Dillons commit bit have generated a lot
> of questions about who gets to be committers, so here is a little
> insight into the process of appointing a committer:
>
> Generally we in core operate with three kinds of committers:
>
>     Ports committers
> 	These are people who maintain one or more ports.
>
> 	If Asami-san wants to glue a bit on somebody, we will
> 	generally let him.
>
>     Limited scope committers
> 	These are people who maintain some specific bit of the tree,
> 	typically a subsystem they are (co-)authors of.  A good example
> 	is the HARP ATM stack, which Mike Spengler is taking care of
> 	(and many thanks for that Mike!)
>
> 	Since these people are taken on board with a explicitly
> 	stated limited scope, we are more relaxed about them than
> 	we are about the last category.  People have been known
> 	to successfully sneak out from this category and into:
>
>     Committers at large
> 	These are the people who persist in sending well documented
> 	PRs containing correct patches.  The only way we have
> 	devised so far for ridding ourselves of this kind of
> 	annoying behaviour is to say "Here! you're a committer,
> 	now close your own PRs!" :-)

      Doc committers
        Contributors to the Documentation Project.  Generally stick
        within doc/ and www/, but have been known to wander in to the
        src/ hierarchy when manual pages need fixing up.

        There are generally two ways to become a doc committer.  The
        first is the same as "Committers at large".  Send enough good
        quality doc/ PRs and I'll get bored of committing them soon
        enough.  The second is if you are maintaining a particular
        language translation of the FreeBSD docs (FAQ, Handbook, man
        pages, and so on).

At least, that's my take on it.

> 	NOTE: If somebody can find a sponsor for it, I would really
> 	like to offer an "official FreeBSD Committer sweat-shirt"
> 	to each and every single committer.  Luxury cars, free
> 	vacations and suitcases filled with cash would also do.

What an excellent idea.  How about the FreeBSD Project coming up with the
artwork, and then 'licensing' it to each user group?  The user groups
handle the printing and distribution of the shirts as necessary (with
appropriate local modifications as necessary) and probably charge
$LOCAL_CURRENCY 1.00 or 2.00 more than the cost of the shirts, which
gets punted back to the Project.  I know I'd pay.

Hmm.  "I submitted a PR to FreeBSD, and all I got was this lousy t-shirt."

> PS: See you all at the FreeBSD-con in October!  http://www.freebsdcon.org/

Absolutely.

 [intentional self-reference] can be easily accommodated using a blessed,
 non-self-referential dummy head-node whose own object destructor severs
 the links.
    -- Tom Christiansen in <375143b5@cs.colorado.edu>