Date:      Fri, 06 Feb 1998 23:54:42 -0600
From:      Tim Sackman <sackmant@wws.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Installing from MS-DOS Partition

Hi gang,

Since I have a T1 connection at work, and only a 28.8K connection from home,
and I want to install FreeBSD on my home machine, I DL'd the FreeBSD
distribution onto my work hd, (all 269+ Meg of it) and copied it to my home
hd (by the simple expedient of taking my work machine home and using
Windoze95's DCC) expecting to be able to do the install from the MS-DOS
partition at a later time without having to connect to the net.

I managed to get a working FreeBSD system up and running, but when I attempt
to install any of the 'packages' from the MS-DOS file system, the install
program can't find them, presumably because of the way the long file names
get truncated in DOS.

Am I doing something wrong here?  Is there a simple way to get the installer
to recognize the files in the DOS partition with the correct names?  Or is
there a distribution specifically for MS-DOS partition installation?

I suppose one method would be to figure out the relationship between the
long and short file names, mount the MS-DOS partition, copy the files to
another file system and then rename them.  This seems like an awful lot of
work for something that must not be terribly uncommon.  I can't be the first
person who has run into this, so surely someone has come up with a solution.

Yeah, I know, those *darned* DOS people trying to learn UNIX are a real
PITA.  What can I say?  I'm trying to improve myself, OK?<G>

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim.