Date:      Tue, 30 Oct 2001 21:17:35 +0100 (CET)
From:      Salvo Bartolotta <bartequi@neomedia.it>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Thought experiment

<pure thought experiment>

The 11 September terrorists chose the possible targets very carefully.

They knew perfectly well that, if they had hit such a country as China, which
is not exactly a democracy despite the adoption of some "rotten" western
models (eg economic ones), they would have been hopeless.

I would imagine that China's reaction probably developed along the lines of:

Step 1) you have _one day_ to surrender, without conditions.

Taliban (and Bin Laden's) answer: WE WILL NEVER EVER SURRENDER!

-- Pakistan (speaking to China): WE WON'T ALLOW THIS BY ANY MEANS!
   WE HAVE NUCLEAR WEAPONS, TOO!

-- China's reply: _Shut_ _up_.  More than 1,000 nuclear missiles are already
   targeted on Pakistan.  If we see  __one__ fly take off and direct towards
   us, you will be removed from History (and Geography) for the next few
   billion years.

Step 2) (After systematically bombing Afghanistan, causing huge military
        damage and killing at least 1,000,000 people in the process) Now
        you have _twelve_ hours to surrender.

Taliban answer 2) we will never surrender.

step 3) (After killing at least 4,000,000 people) Now you have _six_ hours to
        surrender.  If you don't, no form of life will ever be found in
        Afghanistan for the next few billion years.

I think that the action outlined in Step 2) would never occur.  Step 1) would
be more than enough.  The reaction of the press on such an occasion would be
very interesting.

Actually, Mr Bin Laden and his Afghan friends will most probably never hit
China or Chinese targets.  With China, no cigar.