Date:      Sat, 06 Sep 2014 15:18:59 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, ticso@cicely.de
Subject:   Re: Cubieboard: Spurious interrupt detected
References:  <2279481.3MX4OEDuCl@quad> <20140905215702.GL3196@cicely7.cicely.de> <1409958716.1150.321.camel@revolution.hippie.lan> <CAJ-Vmo=EJVFqNnMo_dzevGvFWLSR6LVfYbYmOot1bLZbCvVMTQ@mail.gmail.com> <20140906011526.GT82175@funkthat.com> <1409967197.1150.339.camel@revolution.hippie.lan> <20140906045403.GU82175@funkthat.com> <CAJ-VmonPttv58SGziDda--GooyLJdCcsGXCzP-UyGkO5oO2i=Q@mail.gmail.com> <1410015268.1150.351.camel@revolution.hippie.lan> <AEEF4E90-27E9-43C7-8437-C593BE886846@bsdimp.com>

On Sat, 2014-09-06 at 14:20 -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Sep 6, 2014, at 8:54 AM, Ian Lepore <ian@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
>=20
> > On Fri, 2014-09-05 at 23:45 -0700, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> >> The device itself may have FIFOs and internal busses that also need =
> >> be flushed.
> >>=20
> >=20
> > The question isn't whether or not it's sufficient, because it's
> > necessary.  The device driver knows what its hardware requirements ar=
> > and should meet them.  It doesn't not know what its parent bus
> > requirements are, and that's why it must call bus_space_barrier() to
> > handle architecture needs above the level of the device itself.
>=20
> Yea, all that bus_space_barrier() does is say =B4We=FFve made sure that
> the CPU and all other bridges between the CPU and the device have
> any buffered writes pushed to the device.=A1 If the device has addition=
al FIFOs
> and other things, that=FFs 100% on the device writer.
>=20
> >>=20
> >> Right. The memory barrier semantics right now don't at all guarantee
> >> that bus and device FIFOs have actually been flushed.
> >>=20
> > The fact that some architectures don't implement bus_space_barrier() =
in
> > a way that's useful for that architecture is just a bug.  It doesn't
> > change the fact that bus_space_barrier() is currently our only define=
> > MI interface to barriers in device space.
>=20
> Agreed. But PCI defines that reads flush out all prior writes.
>=20
> >> So I don't think doing it using the existing bus space barrier
> >> semantics is 'right'. For interrupts, it's highly likely that we do
> >> actually need device drivers to read from their interrupt register t=
> >> ensure the update has been posted before returning. That's better th=
an
> >> causing entire L2 cache flushes.
> >>=20
> >=20
> > Where did you see code that does an "entire L2 cache flush"?  You
> > didn't, you just saw a function name and made assumptions about what =
it
> > does.  The fact is, it does what is necessary for the architecture.  =
It
> > also happens to do what a write-then-read does on armv6, but that's
> > exactly the sort of assumption that should NOT be written into MI
> > code. =20
>=20
> Yea, a bus barrier just means a temporal ordering. The exact strength
> of that guarantee is a bit fuzzy, but generally it means we know things
> are done. L2 is usually not an issue, because we have the devices mappe=
> uncached.
>=20

It more complicated than that in the armv6/7 world.  They are mapped as
Device memory which means uncached but writes are buffered (using some
rules specifically designed to work for memory mapped devices, such as
disabling write-combining so that N writes issued results in N writes at
the device).  The buffering happens at the L2 cache controller, so when
you need to ensure that the write has reached the hardware you can make
a call to an L2 routine that blocks until the write has completed.

On armv7 you can also do a read of any address within the same 1K
address block as the write you want to have completed, but I don't think
any driver should contain code like that unless it's for soc-specific
hardware.  Like code for an on-chip timer might be able to make that
assumption, but an EHCI driver couldn't.

> As for reading the ISR, that is device dependent. When using MSI things=
 are
> different because the status is pushed to the host and you get the info=
 from reading
> the host memory. Ideally, you=FFd want to write to ack them without hav=
ing to do
> a read over PCIe, but even that=FFs not always required (and on such de=
vices
> they would correct without bus barriers). Newer devices have been desig=
ned
> to avoid round-trips over the PCIe bus and having semantics that matter.
>=20
> >> Question is - can we expose this somehow as a generic device method,
> >> so the higher bus layers can actually do something with it, or shoul=
> >> we just leave it to device drivers to correctly do?
> >>=20
> >=20
> > In what way is that not EXACTLY whas bus_space_barrier() is defined t=
> > do?
> >=20
> > I've got to say, I don't understand all this pushback.  We have one
> > function defined already that's intended to be the machine-independan=
> > way to ensure that any previous access to hardware using bus_space re=
> > and writes has completed, so why all this argument that it is not the
> > function to use?
>=20
> I agree with Ian here. If we=FFve messed up, we need to fix that. But f=
or the most
> part, devices that are in embedded land actually do the right thing (mo=
re often
> than not). If we=FFre doing something wrong on coherent architectures t=
hat accidentally
> works, we should fix that.
>=20
> I may disagree with Ian about the need for some of the flushing based o=
n the notion
> that we should fix the drivers. I feel it just makes the problem persis=
t. Things should
> be more visibly broken. Ian thinks things should work, and I have a har=
d time arguing
> with that position even if I disagree :).

It has to work because if it doesn't then they'll start running linux on
imx6 at work and I'll have to look for a new job. :)

-- Ian