Date:      Thu, 04 May 2006 20:55:47 +0100
From:      Barnaby Scott <bds@waywood.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   newbie wanting to switch to FreeBSD - planning stage question

I am new to FreeBSD (or any other Unix operating system) but am very
keen to make the switch. I have read as much as I can over the last
couple of years, and am very nearly ready to ditch the various Windows
versions on my network - however there is one Windows-only application I
really cannot find a replacement for, and that is Rhino3D
(http://www.rhino3d.com/). Looking at the CAD section of the ports
collection does not offer any alternative that is at all comparable, so
I fear I'm stuck with it.

I believe Rhino does not work with any Windows emulators either, so I
imagined I had only 2 options left - have completely separate computers
and retain Windows on one - no good because my desk is cluttered enough
already, or to go for a dual-boot one - no good either as I would
constantly be rebooting (or would in practice revert to Windows and
never get to learn FreeBSD which is what I want to do!)

However, I don't mind having a Windows machine running somewhere on the
network out of the way, but would want to use the keyboard, monitor and
mouse attached to my FreeBSD machine. Does anyone know if it is possible
in principle to drive a Windows program on a Windows machine, but from a
Unix computer? If this is not an idiotic question, and this sort of
thing is possible, where would I find some fairly idiot-proof
instructions on how to set it up, or at least some reading to get me
started?

I realise that a common bit of advice is to try stuff out and see, but
if I cannot see a way forward, the time invloved in installing and
learning FreeBSD would be very hard to justify, so please bear with me -
I would be grateful for any advice at this stage.

Many thanks,
Barnaby Scott