Date:      Fri, 21 Apr 2000 11:25:16 -0400
From:      "William D. Freeman" <wdf@picusnet.com>
To:        Simon Robertson <sijr@optusnet.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how does freebsd compare to mandrake 7.0?

> Simon Robertson wrote:
>
> Hello,
> I am currently running Mandrake 7.0 and I was wondering if I purchased
> FreeBSD 4.0 how it would compare?  The general questions I have are,
> is the language & commands generally the same, does it recognise RPMS,
> can I install applications like StarOffice, Netscape & VMware, and
> would I be able to download/install any programs from other CDs or the
> Internet?
> Also I current run KDE on Mandrake 7.0, would there be any changes in
> comparison to FreeBSD 4.0 KDE appearance or running? Lastly does
> FreeBSD run faster than Linux?
> Simon
FreeBSD has emulation for Linux-based GNU systems current to RedHat 6.1
from 4.0-RELEASE and up.  default compiler is GCC.  BASH shell is in the
ports.  we have KDE and GNOME.  Natice Netscape.  *BSD system code is
cleaner and written by people who are better than people developing for
Linux (atleast in my oppionion, but the code IS cleaner).  Cleaner code
usualy does run faster.

--
William D. Freeman <wdf@picusnet.com>
http://members.xoom.com/EvilGNU