Date:      Wed, 2 May 2007 14:58:00 +0930
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        KAYVEN RIESE <kayve@sfsu.edu>
Subject:   Re: install SCSI over ATAPI for DVD

--nextPart2524420.Eu7Drinzao

On Wednesday 02 May 2007 13:11, KAYVEN RIESE wrote:
> gheist:
> You have to install SCSI over ATAPI driver. GENERIC kernel does not
> have one. Only burncd in base system can use acd driver for burning
> CD/DVD, others do use SCSI cd driver

kldload atapicam will do this
putting
atapicam_load=3D"YES"
in /boot/loader.conf will do it every reboot.
> include GENERIC
>
> ident           KAYVEY
> nocpu I486_CPU
> nocpu I586_CPU
>
> options SMP
> device atapicam
> nodevice acd

This is silly, leave acd there, and you don't need SMP unless you have=20
an SMP system (ie it is unrelated to this problem)

> The new kernel will let you use cd0 device.
> acd0 is gone for good - update /etc/fstab accordingly.

I think it's OK to stick with acd0.

The only time you *need* ATAPICAM is to burn CD/DVDs with something like=20
growisofs or cdrecord, or you want to use cdda2wav.

> i am trying to make my dvd player werk.

How are you trying to play DVDs?
You should start by stating the problem you're trying to solve, not have=20
it as a rider at the end of your email.

If you are using xine then you can make a dvd symlink in /dev and do=20
xine dvd:/

If you edit /etc/devfs.conf and make sure it has these 2 lines..
# Commonly used by many ports
link    acd0    cdrom
link    acd0    dvd

then run
/etc/rc.d/devfs restart

it should do it for you.

Then DVD playing apps should find your drive OK. If not please give=20
actual error messages and fully describe what you're trying.

=2D-=20
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum