Date:      Fri, 25 Nov 2016 01:13:51 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
To:        c279@dropcut.net, Olivier <Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th>
Cc:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Raspberry Pi advice [RPI2B V1.2 is not ARMv7A but Cortex-A53, I'm afraid; slower than RPI3B, no WiFi/Bluetooth]

On 2016-Nov-25, at 12:39 AM, c279 at dropcut.net wrote:

> Hi Oliver,
>=20
> On Fri, Nov 25, 2016 at 10:26:20AM +0700, Olivier wrote:
>> I am not sure I am on the right list, if not, please help and point =
me
>> to the correct one.
> This mailing list is primarily for individuals working to port FreeBSD
> to new ARM-based systems and improve existing support.
> General resources for the Raspberry Pi might be:
> * https://www.raspberrypi.org/resources/
> * =
https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/projects/raspberrypi/tutorials/robot/buttons_and_=
switches/
> * https://learn.adafruit.com/category/raspberry-pi
>=20
>> ...=20
>> My questions are the following:
>> - which version buying? 2B or 3B?
> The Raspberry Pi 2 has the best support[0] as of today. You can roll
> your own image for the Raspberry Pi 3[1] if you need to. I personally
> would choose an RPi2 for FreeBSD at this point.

RPI2B V1.1 and before I think that is. The information I've found on
ordering a RPI2B V1.2 indicates is is now also a (slower) 64-bit arm
(Cortex-A53 quad core in a BCM2837), like the RPI3B.

For example: =
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3D63&t=3D163856 (=46rom=
 Oct.)
And: =
https://www.element14.com/community/community/raspberry-pi/raspberrypi2
And: =
http://www.cnx-software.com/2016/11/21/raspberry-pi-2-gets-an-upgrade-to-6=
4-bit-broadcom-bcm2837-processor-with-pcb-version-1-2/
(You can find more.)

"Previous versions of Raspberry Pi 2 Model B use the BCM2836 SoC, which
contains a quad-core ARM Cortex-A7 processor. The Raspberry Pi 2 Model B
v1.2 board uses BCM2837, which contains a quad-core ARM Cortex-A53 =
processor."
(This is from the element14 page.)

RPI2B V1.1 is out of production from what I can tell, although one might
still be able to find one. It gets harder to find one over time.

RPI2B V1.2 does not have WiFi/Bluetooth built in.

It is too bad that they did not at least name it Raspberry Pi 2C.

>> - how GPIO does GPIO work? I need one input to generate interupts and
>>  the other one to generate interupts but that I can also be able to
>>  pull the value when there has been no interrupt. Is that possible?
> Yes. Here[2] is an example in C and in Python[3].
>=20
>> - would it be possible to use the GPIO to generate a signal to sound
>>  like a siren?
> Yes, but you can also attach speakers to the 3.5mm jack. This might be
> easier than fiddeling with GPIO fpr this purpose.
>=20
>=20
>> Best regards and thanks for the help,
> You're welcome,