Date:      Sun, 3 Aug 1997 21:47:48 +0200
From:      Andreas Klemm <andreas@klemm.gtn.com>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Make this a relese coordinator decision (was Re: ports-current/packages-current discontinued)

On Sun, Aug 03, 1997 at 12:00:37PM -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
> To put it another way, if something as minor as a new version of TCL
> going in screws up the ports collection this badly then we've already
> established that it's a frail mechanism in the face of changes in the
> base OS and we should no longer try and bend that mechanism to such an
> extent.  TCL is just the tip of the iceberg where changes to -current
> are concerned, and trying to track multiple architectures (each of
> which needing its own package collection and potentially some ports
> changes) is only going to add to the misery.  Let's stop trying to
> chase the moving train here, folks - Satoshi's decision was absolutely
> the right thing to do, even if for the "wrong" reasons! ;-)

You know Jordan, that usually I totally agree with you, but here
I hardly can ;-)

You were right and I wouldnīt complain, if we would have to deal
with basic changes in the kernel, or in another packages, that
break something, but bring further improvements, that cant be
achieved  using a less radical way.

But here we speak of a tool that doesnīt necessarily belong
into the basic system and could be put into the ports collection
like all the others tcl / tk versions, that arenīt backward
compatible to each other.

Instead of this you insist in keeping this tools within
the basic system and call that something like necessary
progress.

Jordan, keeping -current compatible to the ports collection
doesnīt necessarily mean a step backward for the progress of
-current.

Put tcl 8.0 into the ports collection and -current is as
-current as it was before, but we would get a usable ports
collection for current as well.

See my mail in "core".

I think the lastly drawn decision to integrate tcl 8.0
into -current wasnīt

	a) well thought

	b) discussed very well with the other core team
	   members, especially with Satoshi

--
Andreas Klemm | klemm.gtn.com - powered by
                    Symmetric MultiProcessor FreeBSD